9/20/2010

10 Interesting Images

As part of my foundation summer project, I have to blog about 10 images that I find interesting and describe why. I mostly chose images that are on some level very personal, I wanted to avoid showing examples of other illustrators and artists work. This is partially because I have a chance to do this as another part of my summer project, and because I wanted to share some of my background (this is something I usually avoid, I don't know why).


1. Tree Silhouettes



I am really inspired by nature, that's the simplest way of phrasing it. I love how there is always a sense of order and calm, how the ecosystem essentially works as one organism. In my first draft for this series of images I just had photographs of trees and nature, but I realized that was pretty redundant and so I have this image as the 'number 1' in this set. I took this photograph during my holiday, what I find most interesting about it is the structure made by the branches, making a sort of matrix.



2. Reflection



I find this image interesting for similar reasons as the one above, but I am also very interested int eh reflection. It is hard to differentiate which is more real- the reflection of the fallen tree or the actual fallen tree.


3. Bird Diagram



I love the idea of investigating the structure of something wild, and trying to further understand how it works and its unique capabilities. Also, I easily forget specific details when I draw and just add in my own, which is why I find really specific diagrams fascinating. This isn't the best diagram I could find, but my scanner is still hiding in a moving box so I can't share my favorite similar image.


4. Chinese Poster



At first I was going to post a CCCP propaganda poster, but this image caught my eye. It reminds me of the urban landscapes I saw growing up in Hong Kong and Beijing.

We should do more and engage less in empty talk - Deng Xiaoping

My original plan for university was to go and study history, I guess because of this i am interested in propaganda posters and their influence. Though this isn't the most traditional propaganda poster it seems to resonate both same concept of industrialization, and shows the stylistic influence of the more traditional posters of its sort.


5. Ruins in Melaka



As I just wrote, I love finding structure in wild/messy/etc images or places. I have always been really interested in old ruins and abandoned houses, as a kid I used to break into abandoned houses with my friends, looking back that was probably not a good idea. But a lot fun.

In any case, the middle building in this picture is an abandoned Chinese house in Melaka, Malaysia. The layers of paint are really interesting, in a way showing a different layer of the houses history with each peeling layer. You can't really see that in this picture very well, but I'm sure you can imagine it.


6. Messy Studio.



This is a image of Francis Bacon's studio. I am interested in this image because I can definitely relate, though not on such a scale. I hope. I think being surrounded by masses of different paints and papers can be inspiring, at least you can see the influence of this in Francis Bacon's work.


7. Old prints



As a kid I was a chronic bookworm, and am now really interested in the type, image and materials which are used in bookbinding. In this image I love how the text can be seen through the page.


8. Map



I am really interested in maps, this probably comes from moving around alot; I am fascinate by how different locations are defined. I think it is especially interesting to compare old maps to modern ones, and from this interpret a changed understanding different regions and generally the make up of the world.


9. Lights



This is an image probably commissioned by a 17th century bohemian who believed that the different angles that the sun and moon hit you shaped your personality. As I mentioned before, I love diagrams of things that shouldn't make sense. I find this image interesting because it's someones attempt of making a bizarre idea seem logical.


10. Coffee



I guess one interpretation of this is that I really love/need my morning coffee. But I also am really interested in the way the two substances mix together, coffee in itself is a comfort for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment