1/14/2011

Book animation

The most recent project that we have from Camberwell is to choose something from our earlier research regarding a chosen chair, and to make a narrative piece using this element. While doing my research, I found I was most interested in the design ideology behind the making of the chair the most interesting element relating to it. The Designer, Ilmari Tapiovaara, believed in bringing warmth and organic elegance to cold, structured enviroments. Thus, my project is about the relationship between the cold urban enviroment of helsinki and warm natural form.


I realize I haven't included a picture of the chair that started all of this! So here (on the left, as you can hopefully see..) is the 'domus' chair, which was designed for Domus university Halls in Helsinki. While visiting Helsinki this chirstmas I realized that the chair was used much more then I thought- after mentioning that I was reasearching the specific chair, many people started reminicing about lecture halls or public houses that used to be furnished with this chair. I also found that the chair is used to this day- though more as a design object, furnisihng cafe's and restaurants. The chair has clearly become an icon of the era of modernist deisn in Finland, one which still continues to execute its purpose.


As part of the brief was to create a piece with a narrative structure, I decided to use a book to implement this. As we are conditioned to expect a narrative sturcture when looking at a book, the mind looks for one. The narrative that I am looking to communicate is the relationship between the urban environment and the warm organic forms, the organic forms are to move through the book, creating a sense of continuity and interacting with the flashing images of buildings. This video here is but a experiment, allowing me to see how much work I still have to do for this project. (And it's clear I still have a lot to do!)



This animation is to experiment with the use of organic forms, which I will apply to the book shown above after I have finished drawing the buildings.



No comments:

Post a Comment